Monday, August 10, 2015

Wishing in one hand

Three Coins in the Fountain

Have you ever tossed a coin or two into a fountain and made a wish? Did it come true?

I don't remember ever tossing a coin in a fountain or even a wishing well. I remember running around the edge of a fountain. I remember my sister falling into the fountain in December. I even remember what she was wearing--a wool plaid pantsuit. Well, it was the seventies. She had to shiver in the wet wool all the way home. I surely must have thrown a coin into Trevi Fountains, because I was there, but maybe not because I was fifteen and oblivious to tradition.
What I have thrown into water is a message in a bottle, but I don't remember what it said. The idea is charming, but I don't really believe in those kinds of things: messages in bottles or coins in fountains. I wish on stars, but it's just a cursory action. I said a spell I found in a book of witchcraft I found in the library at around thirteen or fourteen. Nothing came of it that I remember. So I guess the saying is true for me, "Wish in one hand and spit in the other and see which fills up first." I believe in doing things I'm afraid of much more. I believe in checking your voice mail, running a Class III rapid, going on blind dates. That's where I put my belief in the future, not in lottery tickets or Ouija boards.
So why do I blow the fluff off dandelions and kiss the hem of my skirt when it's turned up? I always put my left shoe on first and never toss my hat on the bed. So I guess I might as well go find a fountain and rustle up some spare change. You never know.

No comments: